Maya Angelou, 1928 – 2014

Unknown-1

Sadly today, the celebrated storyteller, poet and activist Maya Angelou passed away. She was a woman of great courage, strength and spiritual beauty who inspired many with both her words and actions.

“Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.”

“When I look back, I am so impressed again with the life-giving power of literature. If I were a young person today, trying to gain a sense of myself in the world, I would do that again by reading, just as I did when I was young.”

“How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!”

“The best candy shop a child can be left alone in, is the library”

“Poetry is music for the human voice. Until you actually speak it or someone speaks it, it has not come into its own.”

“I sustain myself with the love of family.”

“It is time for parents to teach young people early on that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength.”

“Each of us, famous or infamous, is a role model for somebody, and if we aren’t, we should behave as though we are — cheerful, kind, loving, courteous. Because you can be sure someone is watching and taking deliberate and diligent notes.”

“You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.

Advertisements

Tagged: ,

20 thoughts on “Maya Angelou, 1928 – 2014

1. Agent Rod Smith May 29, 2014 at 2:42 am Reply

A good and useful life, lived.

2. Grandma Kc May 30, 2014 at 3:00 pm Reply

You sure found some great quotes to use. Words we all should live by. It is a huge loss but she did so much while she was here, more than most of us. She will be missed.

• belindambrock May 30, 2014 at 3:13 pm Reply

Thanks, Kc—I couldn’t even believe how many wonderful quotes of hers exist. As you could tell, I chose ones that would have particular meaning for grandbooking readers.

3. Joyce June 2, 2014 at 2:17 pm Reply

I loved that lady too. So fresh, so fearless. I just adored her spunky attitude at the inauguration. Thanks for the collection of her very best!

• belindambrock June 4, 2014 at 10:31 pm Reply

Fresh and fearless is a great description, Joyce. Glad you stopped by.

4. Catherine @ Story Snug June 4, 2014 at 1:28 am Reply

I love the first quote you chose and the quote about the candy shop / library.

Hopping over from the #kid lit blog hop

• belindambrock June 4, 2014 at 10:32 pm Reply

Yes, I like those, too. Thanks for hopping over 🙂

5. Julie Grasso June 4, 2014 at 1:41 am Reply

Beautiful quotes, from an awesome lady, thanks so much for sharing them with us at the Kid Lit Blog Hop

• belindambrock June 4, 2014 at 10:34 pm Reply

Yes, a truly special person who left quite a legacy. Thanks for visiting my blog, Julie.

6. Alex Baugh (@RandomlyReading) June 4, 2014 at 7:00 am Reply

What a nice tribute to such a wonderful lady. Thanks for sharing it with everyone on the Kid Lit Blog Hop.

7. stephie5741 June 4, 2014 at 9:31 am Reply

She was indeed an amazing lady.

• belindambrock June 4, 2014 at 10:38 pm Reply

Yes, I’ve learned more about her in the last week, and it’s all been intriguing.

8. Stacie Theis June 6, 2014 at 12:25 pm Reply

What a lovely post and beautiful tribute to a wonderful woman. Thank you for sharing!

9. Pragmatic Mom June 7, 2014 at 11:23 am Reply

What a beautiful tribute to Maya Angelou! Thanks for sharing it at the Kid Lit Blog Hop!

• belindambrock June 7, 2014 at 6:18 pm Reply

I appreciate your visits and comments—it’s not hard to find nice things to say about Dr. Angelou 🙂

10. bohemian babushka (@BBabushka) June 16, 2014 at 10:58 pm Reply

She left us with so many blessed, inspired words; gracias for sharing some of them. Here from the Grand Social and enjoying this post. BB2U

• belindambrock June 17, 2014 at 10:08 am Reply

She certainly did! I appreciate your visit, bb.